Table Of Content
Discover the Best of Manual & Automation Testing Tools Used by Testers Nowadays
In an era of automation, there is still a large number of testers and QA specialists who swear by the manual testing concepts over automation testing tools. Despite this, they all agree, manual or automated, good software testing tools are a necessity for a QA or software tester today.
But why are these types of application software testing tools so important today? Well, according to the CEO of Sepharim Research at Enterprise Mobility Trends 2016:
“The modern desktop is really not a desktop, but an experience that fits the moment.”
So if a modern desktop or software is all about the experience, what can we as software developers do to ensure a pleasant experience? The answer – test it extensively.
So, without further ado, let’s move on learn what are the best tools that a software tester or QA specialist should have in their arsenal today.
Types of Software Testing Tools Used Nowadays
There are two major types of software testing that is practiced nowadays. Depending on the individual preference of the professional software testing services, the software testing strategy is chosen for use.
The two major types of software testing concepts and tools include:
- Manual testing tools, which allows for the test cases are implemented and executed manually, without the use of an automated tool. Every test case will be run manually by the tester, who will evaluate it from a user’s perspective.
- Automation testing tools are software that help testers maintain test data, run tests, and evaluate the test results generated to find way to improve the quality of the software being tested.
Looking for Experienced QA Engineers?
Popular Software Testing Tools Used in 2022
Nowadays, there is a constant drive to move towards automation testing in the software development industry. If we look at popular developer and tech forums such as Stack Overflow or Quora, you will see that there are many software testing professionals who are urging their colleagues to adopt automation.
And its natural. These automation testing tools are designed to make testing software easier and better. They are also well supported by the concepts defined in different software development methodologies. So whether you want to perform desktop testing, web or browser testing, API testing, or even regression testing, a good automation testing tool can help you speed up the process.
Let’s take a look at some of these awesome manual and automation software testing tools that can help testers today.
Selenium is one of the most popular automation testing tools for web application testing. It is a testing framework that performs web app testing on various different platforms and browsers, including Mac, Windows, and Linux.
One of the best features of Selenium include the fact that it allows developers and testers to write test cases from their choice of programming language from a wide variety of supported options. Ideally, it is termed best for applications built on .NET framework. Meanwhile, other choices also range from Python, Perl, Ruby, Java, PHP, and a lot more. Moreover, the tool is an integral part of many browser testing tools, by providing it as a default testing tool for testers and QA specialists.
Katalon Studio is another option among well-known automation software testing tools available nowadays. Developed by Katalon LLC, it is a free testing tool that is built over the open-source automation frameworks like Selenium and Appium. Its IDE has a highly specialized interface to help testers with testing APIs, web apps, and mobile apps testing.
One of the best and most extensive testing tools out there, it comes with a large variety of features that can help a tester face any number of challenges when performing web UI test automation. Some of its most popular features include:
- Image-based testing support built into it by default
- Dual editor testing interface available
- Supports java/groovy based scripting languages
- Completely customizable execution workflows
Postman is currently one of the most famous and widely used software automation testing tools for API testing. Its versatility allows testers to write different types of software tests, such as functional tests, integration tests, or even regression tests. Moreover, once created, Postman allows these tests to run automatically via the CI/CD pipeline as defined as software testing lifecycle.
Some of its most prominent features include:
- Intuitive and easy-to-use UI
- Extensive support for a variety of web technologies, including HTML methods, Swagger, and RAML formats
- Rich support for API schemas that allows users to generate different API elements and collections
- Easy integration with other CI/CD tools
- Quick creation of test suites that allow execution with extensive parameterization and debugging support
TestingWhiz is one of the more unique software testing tools on our list. The QA testing tool is known for its no-code scripting function, and was developed by Cygnet Infotech, a CMMi Level 3 certified IT and software development firm. The enterprise edition of TestingWhiz offers a comprehensive set of testing solutions, including software testing, API testing, web testing, optimization, automation, and much more. Many companies working on software outsourcing projects recommends the usage of TestingWhiz. If offers great custom testing features with enhanced scalability, allowing QA engineers to carryout different functional tests effectively.
Some of its most prominent features include:
- SMTP integration
- Centralized Object Repository
- Version control system integration
- Customized recording rule
- Browser extension testing
HPE Unified Functional Testing
Originally, the tool was called HP QuickTest Professional, or QTP for short. However, it was renamed to HPE Unified Functional Testing, or HPE UFT. This is one of the most commonly used software testing tools for regression testing and functional testing of different software products.
The tool uses Visual Basic Scripting Edition as its primary scripting language, allowing testers to register the various test processes, and manage the different objects and control parameters. Some of the unique features offered by HPE-UFT include:
- Smart object recognition
- Option to create unique parameters for data tables, checkpoints, and more
- Automated documentation generation
- Robust error handles processes
Ranorex is another software testing must-have that offers a comprehensive suite of software testing tools to help testers and QAs test applications for the mobile, web, and desktop environments.
Some of its more popular features include:
- Smart bug detection
- Reusability of test codes
- Rich integration features with a number of other testing tools
- Is able to recognize GUI of the software its testing
Just like Ranorex, Watir is an open-source software testing tool that is used to automate web app testing. Developed primarily using Ruby and its libraries, it is a good testing tool, allowing for testers to create robust testing procedures.
With the name pronounced similar to “Water”, some of its more popular features include:
- Is able to test web apps developed using virtually any development language, making it versatile
- Can perform cross-browser testing
- Can also the web apps forms, links, buttons, and their responses, for issues.
- Is easily compatible with business-centered dev tools like RSpec or Test/Unit.
Tosca Testsuite is an automation software testing tool developed by Tricentis. It is one of the few software testing tools that use a model-based test automation approach, making it a truly unique entry on this list.
A comprehensive software testing tool, it comes with the following features:
- The provisioning of test data
- Mobile app testing
- Coverage of risk incurred
- Robust Integration management
- Intuitive planning and designing of different test cases
Telerik TestStudio is a comprehensive, one-stop software testing tools solution designed to help testers performing a variety of testing processes. It allows for the automation of all kinds of web, mobile, and desktop application testing, including Load testing, performance testing, and UI testing.
A highly versatile tool, it allows:
- Integration with Visual Studio IDE
- Cross-browser testing of web apps
- Record test procedures and playback
- Manual testing functions
Just like some of the tools that offer specific kinds of testing automation, TestComplete is one of the software testing tools used for automation functional testing. Developed by SmartBear Software, the testing platform offers a variety of testing techniques to perform functional testing for web, desktop, and mobile apps easily.
Some of its more unique features include:
- Scripted testing feature
- Test visualization capability
- Allows test recording and playback features
One of the few software testing tools, Sahi offers:
- Can perform multi-browser testing
- Allows testers to record and playback different browser testing procedures
- Supports various test frameworks such as Dojo, YUI, ExtJS, and more.
TestSigma is one of the most powerful software testing tools on our list. Completely open-source, it allows for automation of software tests for a number of software platforms, such as mobile apps, web apps, APIs and more.
This versatile platform combines the benefits of all the elements that make up a traditional but fragmented test stack. A robust testing tool, it offers a variety of options, like:
- Step-by-step test results and detailed reports generated as soon as you execute your test procedure
- AI-based fixing that tweaks and fixes any test steps or elements that are unstable for a hands-off test maintenance
- Built-in visual testing
- One-click integrations to tools like JIRA, Slack, Trello, and more that allows you extend using add-ons for additional automation functions
How Can We Compare Different Software Testing Tools for Effectiveness?
There are many ways you can choose your perfect software testing tools. To put it simple, the tool that offers different types of software testing for your convenience, is the best choice for you. But what are the factors that can help you make the right choice easily?
Some of the most important measures that can help us judge the efficiency of a software testing tool include:
- Compatibility across different platforms
- Ease of maintenance
- Customer support quality
- Ease of use
- Cost of subscription
- Infrastructural requirements for the tool
With these factors in mind, you will be able to make a great choice when choosing your preferred software testing tools.
Now that we have discussed these popular software testing tools, which one do you think is the best for you?
The list above covers a wide variety of software testing tools that range from propriety software suites to comprehensive open-source testing tools. That allows you to choose the tool that will help you improve your day-to-day testing duties. Now, just because a tool works for someone, there is no guarantee that it will be ideal for you too.
Each testing tool is designed for some specific QA tests for your project’s functional requirements and features. And if that aligns with what you need a testing tool for, then that specific tool would be considered the best fit for you.
|What is a popular tool for manual testing?|
JIRA is one of the most popular manual testing tools people use nowadays.
|Which testing is best?|
Automation testing is considered the better option compared to manual software testing. It is more efficient, has better testing coverage, and requires less manual labor.
|What is API testing?|
API testing is a software testing technique that tests the API for its functionality, reliability, and overall performance.
|What is the difference between QA and testing?|
QA deals with ensuring that the software complies with the expectations of all shareholders. Testing on the other hand deals with finding defects in the software that could affect the functionality or user experience.